International Driving Permit (IDP)
Your Passport to Overseas Driving
The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.
Although the Singapore driving licence is recognised in many countries, the IDP could prevent any inconveniences when renting a car or when driving in a country where English is not commonly spoken. In such situations, drivers may find themselves handicapped by language barriers.
The IDP contains translations of driving terms used in various languages and can help drivers communicate with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is also a useful form of identification as it contains a photograph of the driver.
Who Should Apply
For peace of mind when driving overseas, we recommend that Singapore driving licence holders intending to drive in a foreign country to apply for an IDP. The IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue.
- The applicant must hold a valid Singapore driving licence
- Permits cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licences. They must apply for their IDPs in the country that issued their driving licence
- Singaporean applicants must present BOTH a valid driving license and NRIC
- Foreigner must also hold employment pass/FIN Card that is valid for 1 year from date of IDP application
- Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents who have given up their citizenship or PR status respectively are not allowed to apply for the IDP
Foreign driving licence holders who wish to convert their licence to a Singapore driving licence, please click here or call Singapore Traffic Police hotline at 6547 0000 for more information.
Sole Issuing Authority in Singapore
AA is the only authorised organisation to issue IDPs in Singapore.
It has been found that some third parties are selling IDPs that are not genuine and are purported to be issued by the Automobile Association of Singapore.
We wish to notify members of the public that AA is the sole issuing authority recognised by the FIA and the Government for the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit.
It is a criminal offence to issue, handle or be in possession of an illegitimate IDP. Internet surfers are advised against applying for IDPs that are being sold illegally on the web. The sellers of these forged documents are not only breaking the law but are also endangering the lives of road users.
CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF COUNTRIES WHERE THE 1949 CONVENTION INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT IS RECOGNISED.
The processing fee is S$22 (non-GST chargeable).
Ways to apply for International Driving Permit
note that IDP will not be mailed to overseas mailing address with effect 1
Special Promotion for International Driving Permit Applicants!
Automobile Association of Singapore is an authorised booking centre for Hertz
Enjoy $20* off Hertz Affordable Rates for car rentals in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe when you apply for an International Driving Permit. AA members will enjoy a further 10% discount!
* Terms and Conditions
- A valid IDP must be produced upon booking
- Promotion is valid for a minimum of 5 days rental, applicable for Compact car group onwards.
- Promotion is only valid on Affordable Rates for self-drive rentals at all participating locations in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe.
- Reservation must be made at least 24 hours before departure.
- Minimum rental age requirement applies and is subject to local renting conditions.
- No other discounts or promotions can be used concurrently.
- Blackout dates and standard Hertz terms and conditions apply.
- Valid till 31 December 2013