International Driving Permit
Your Passport to Overseas Driving
The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.
While the Singapore driving licence is recognised in many countries, the IDP can minimise inconvenience when renting a car or driving in a country where English is not commonly spoken. The IDP contains driving terms in various languages and can aid communication with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is also a useful form of photo identification for the driver.
For peace of mind, we recommend Singapore driving licence holders intending to drive in a foreign country to apply for an IDP. The IDP is valid for one year
from the date of issue.
Foreign driving licence holders wishing to convert to a Singapore driving licence, please click here
or call the Singapore Traffic Police at 6547 0000 for more information.
- Singaporean applicants must present BOTH a Singapore valid driving licence and NRIC.
- In addition to a valid Singapore driving licence, foreigners must present an Employment Pass / FIN Card with at least 6 months’ validity.
- The IDP cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licences. They must apply for the IDP in the country that issued their driving licence.
- To apply online, a passport-sized photograph in JPG format is required. To apply over our counters, your image will be captured as part of the application process. Please bring a hardcopy photograph of the applicant if you are applying on his/her behalf.
International Driving Permit (IDP) must be used in conjunction with the
Singapore Driving Licence when driving overseas.
your Singapore Driving Licence be defaced or if the residency status in your
Singapore Driving Licence is different from your NRIC, please contact Singapore
Traffic Police for a replacement before applying for an International Driving
are able to apply for an IDP with the acknowledgement slip from Traffic Police
while waiting for the replacement of your Singapore Driving Licence. If you are
required to go overseas before receiving your Singapore Driving Licence, please
obtain an extract from Traffic Police. An extract fee is applicable.
Conditions of Issue
- The IDP is valid in the territory of all the Contracting States of Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949.
- Click here for a list of countries in which the 1949 IDP is recognised.
- The issuance of an IDP is restricted to the applicant holding a valid driving licence.
- Your valid Singapore driving licence must accompany the IDP at all times when driving overseas.
- The IDP issued is NOT VALID for use in Singapore or the IDP holder’s home country to which the IDP holder is transferring his residency.
- The IDP is VOID when the IDP holder gives up his/her Singapore Citizenship or Singapore Permanent Residency, or does not have a valid Singapore employment pass/S-pass/work permit.
- The IDP is valid for one (1) year from date of issue and is NOT RENEWABLE.
- The IDP requires your signature on the line directly beneath your photograph.
For those going to a country for any reason other than leisure travel, and staying for a period longer than 3 months, please contact the respective embassy or consulate office of the country of destination to obtain more information on driving licence requirements.
Cost of Application
Ways to Apply for IDP
Over the Counter
For walk-in application: the processing time is within 1 hr
Proceed to our friendly counter services at:
AA @ GB Point
(Next to Blk 69 Food Centre, formerly the site of Mandarin Theatre)
535 Kallang Bahru
#01-08 GB Point
to view map.
Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 5.30pm, last submission at 5.15pm
Sat: 8.30am – 1pm, last submission at 12.45pm
(Not open on Sundays and Public Holidays)
AA @ 51 AMK
(Next to AMK Hub, above McDonalds and S11 coffeeshop)
51 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3
to view map.
Daily: 10am – 10pm, last submission at 9.45pm
You can opt for self-collection or local registered delivery by Singpost.
Self-collection: Minimum processing time is 5 working days
Local delivery^^: Additional 3 to 5 working days
^^Please note that the IDP is not mailed overseas.
Special Promotion for International Driving Permit Applicants!
Automobile Association of Singapore is an authorised booking centre for Hertz
Enjoy $20* off Hertz Affordable Rates for car rentals in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe when you apply for an International Driving Permit. AA members will enjoy a further 10% discount!
* Terms and Conditions
- A valid IDP must be produced upon booking
- Promotion is valid for a minimum of 5 days rental, applicable for Compact car group onwards.
- Promotion is only valid on Affordable Rates for self-drive rentals at all participating locations in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe.
- Reservation must be made at least 24 hours before departure.
- Minimum rental age requirement applies and is subject to local renting conditions.
- No other discounts or promotions can be used concurrently.
- Blackout dates and standard Hertz terms and conditions apply.
- Valid till 31 December 2016